Discover Southpark and its local businesses tonight, December 4th, from 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm. Visit Unleashed Dog Fitness at the corner of Grape and Fern Street, pick up a bandana and enter the chance to win a free 30 minute cardio session incl. consultation!
“Twinkle, Twinkle, Mix & Mingle”
Shops throughout South Park open late, with trees and windows festively lit for the holiday season. Enjoy music, refreshments, specials and surprises in the independently-owned South Park boutiques, galleries, cafes and taverns.
A free trolley circulates throughout the neighborhood from 6 to 10pm, and a Walkabout Guide with event details is available at the South Park Info Table on Juniper St. near 30th.
South Park’s businesses line the 30th St. and Fern St. corridors from Kalmia on the north to Beech St. on the south. For more information, visit http://southparkscene.com.
Among the special events planned for Dec. 4th:NORTH OF JUNIPER ST:
• Lulu’s by Travis Parker – 5-year anniversary party with cupcakes, specials and gift certificates.
• Absolute Skin – Gift Certificate special (2 for 1), plus select discounts. Champagne and sweets for customers and the curious, 6-8.
• Mythology – 25% off (on select merchandise), live music and more!
• Plum Pottery – Student Pottery Sale featuring plates, bowls, mugs, and specialty Christmas items. Hundreds of new and unusual pieces.
• Also be sure to visit Vagabond Kitchen and Mazara’s Trattoria.
JUNIPER ST. AREA:
• The Grove on Juniper – San Diego Mandolin Orchestra holiday concert
• Laila’s Salon – Stop in for a free bang trim.
• Clarity Soap & Candles – “Let Heaven and Nature Sing,” an old-fashioned holiday with antique, vintage and natural items. Free gift-wrapping, and plenty of gift basket ideas, along with our popular Bingo games at 7, 8 and 9pm.
• Rebecca’s Coffeehouse – Music, holiday pastries, and photo show by Some Like It Shot Photography.
• ALSO check out: El Camino Super Cocina, and Daily Scoop on Juniper.
FERN ST. SOUTH OF JUNIPER:
• Make Good – Up-cycled, local, handmade holiday gifts.
• Junc Boutique – Group art show “Ghosts of Christmas Past” stocked with designs and gift ideas for men, women, and the home. Refreshments too.
• Edward Jones Investments
• Velo Cult – Serving ‘smores, hot chocolate, live music and 10% off of all bicycle accessories.
• ALSO check out these popular South Park businesses: Whistle Stop, Station Tavern & Burgers, Blisswear.
30TH ST. SOUTH OF JUNIPER:
• Progress — in the restored Burlingame Garage, find something for everyone on your list, plus gift and greeting cards. Enjoy ginger cookies, candy canes, and beverages.
• The Rose Wine Pub
• Baby Garten Studio – Balloons and stickers, children’s entertainment and class demos: 6pm Creative Movement for ages 2-12 mos.; 6:30 Creative Movement for ages 13-24 mos; 7pm Nightingale Music; 7:30 Spanish Class and music.
• ALSO check out South Park Fitness in the restored Fire Station No. 9.
• South Bark Dog Wash – Specials, refreshments, fun for all!
GRAPE ST. AREA:
• Unleashed Dog Fitness presenting proudly its services.
• Opening of new gallery — Disclosed Unlocation, on 30th St. just south of Grape. Featuring new work by Max Daily, Annie Perkins, Frank Melendez, Jfre “Robot” Coad, and Will Goff.
• So Childish – Custom Ornaments
• South Park Abbey – Happy Hour prices all day Dec. 4th. Plus our weekly Blues Jam.
• Also visit The Big Kitchen Café, and Kwan Yin Holistic Center ( on Grape St.), and San Diego Chiropractic Center (on Fern St.)
BEECH ST. AREA:
• Grant’s Marketplace – Wine and craft beer specials, free house coffee and kid hot chocolates.
• Studio Maureen – Annual holiday open house, Santa 6-8pm, and specials all weekend. Free ornament workshop too!
• The Next Door Gallery – “Brooch the Subject (Wearable Politics)” including jewelry, apparel and crafts.
• Alchemy – Sample a Seasonal Hot Soup outside the restaurant and a special ‘tapa del dia’ for the evening.
• Monkey C Media – Features “Joanie Loves Tchotchke” sale, with great deals on art and other gift items. Plus Fat Molly’s brownies, Christmas mulled wine, and live music.
• Halcyon Tea – Celebrating 2-year anniversary with free tea samples, holiday gift sets and bundles.
• ALSO check out: Sonic Arts, San Diego Clipping & Copy, Ginseng Yoga, and Hamilton’s Tavern.
FERN & CEDAR:
• Posh Wash on Fern St. (next to Food Bowl Market) serves up brownies, coffee and balloons.
• Thomas Bike Shop offers holiday greetings to all!
South Park Walkabouts
Festive evenings throughout South Park, where shops and businesses welcome visitors and the sounds of live music entertain walkers (and trolley riders) as they wander through our neighborhood. Each walkabout features:
* Live musical entertainment.
* Shops open late, many offering refreshments and specials.
* Free trolley from 6 to 10pm, with convenient stops at main shopping areas (Juniper, Grape and Beech Sts.).
* Special offerings at South Park restaurants, coffee shops and taverns.
* Free parking at Christ United Presbyterian Church (30th between Elm and Fir), and Gala Foods (corner of Grape & Fern), plus plenty of street parking throughout the neighborhood.
For future info, be sure to sign up for our email newsletter here.
For a complete guide to what’s happening at each Walkabout, join the South Park Scene email list. Visit our CONTACT page to sign up — it’s free!
To see the previous shop-by-shop Walkabout guide and photos, click here.